Search This Blog

Friday 29 May 2015

17455977

Book: The Eternity Cure, Julie Kagawa
Series: Blood of Eden series #2
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: May 1st, 2012

Rating: 5 stars

The Eternity Cure is just as dark, gripping and mesmerising as the first book. Allison Sekemoto has left her group of humans in the one place where they will be safe from monsters like her – in Eden. This also includes her beloved Zeke, the one human who burrowed his way into Allie’s heart and refuses to budge.

Eden is no place for a vampire, especially one with unfinished business, and Allie has a task to do. She’s been having nightmares of her sire, Kanin, who is in utter agony at the hands of a psycho vampire who wants Kanin to suffer, and suffer horribly. So Allie sets out to find her mentor, the one who saved her life and made her what she is. What she didn’t expect was to find Jackal, her blood brother, instead. If you don’t remember, Jackal was the Raider King who kidnapped the humans Allie befriended in his search for the cure to the deadly Red Lung virus. Instead of a brutal fight between two siblings, they set out on a journey together to help rescue Kanin.

Jackal totally surprised me by completely endearing me to him. He quickly became my favourite character who made me laugh aloud more than once.
“I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the jeep is still where we left it, and I got the damned thing working again."
"What's the bad news?"
"Something took my fuzzy dice.”

In a life or death situation, I screamed when it looked like we could lose Jackal and cried with joy when he emerged victorious. He reminded me so much of Sebastian Morgenstern from The Mortal Instruments series – completely screwed up and cruel, yet strangely likable. He sees humans only as bloodbags and doesn’t see Allie’s attraction to them, but he will still protect the ones that Allie cares for, as well as Allie herself. I can’t wait to see more of him in the final book.

Allie, just like in the first book, struggles to hold onto her humanity in the face of her monstrosity. She’s becoming an incredibly strong warrior and doesn’t feel immense guilt for killing when she knows it’s either them or her. She’ll do whatever it takes to save the ones she cares about, but is also not averse to being cruel when she needs to be, which I loved about her. I've seen many heroines who will be kind even to their enemies, but I can’t see Allie ever doing that. She will kill anyone who has hurt her or her friends, and her inner demon will smile viciously on.

I loved her relationship with Zeke; just like in the first book, he was Allie’s light of humanity when she was drowning in darkness, and I think they both helped each other grow. Zeke’s not as naïve as he was in the first book, and he’s become a strong leader and fighter and I will always cheer for him. However, I think I'm Team Vampire for this series. Why? Kanin.

Oh, Kanin. He broke my heart in this book. He was in so much pain and agony, and there was nothing anyone could do to stop it. He was a wise and sage as ever, but he will continue to fight against those who are trying to kill him.


Nobody is safe until Sarren, the psycho vampire, is dead, and with the way this book ended, I can’t wait to see the final standoff between our trio of vampires and one super strong, completely insane vampire. It will be epic.

4 comments:

  1. Yes! Jackal is a little crazy, but I can't help but love him. And Kanin... KANIN. Believe me when I say that the finale is epically heart-stopping. You won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I started reading last night and Allie is already breaking my heart it' so sad :(

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this book review and I love your blog! You gained a new follower! If you can please check out my blog too. http://sweetcherry69.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie that really means a lot that more and more people are finding my blog! I'm relatively new so the more coverage I get the better :)
      You're blog is beautiful and I've followed you too!

      Delete

Hey guys, hope you enjoyed this post!
I love comments and seeing that people took the effort to actually write something always makes me smile :)
I reply to every comment made, so be sure to leave something if you have something to say! :)
Hope you have a great day! x